WIAW & A Halloween Recap

Hi greenies, it's "What I Ate Wednesday" time again, as linked up to the blog, Peas & Crayons.  Also included in today's post are some pictures from Halloween with Avery. So before we get into the food, let's take a walk down Halloween-memory lane from just a week ago.

"Booo!"
This year Avery was a ghost for Halloween. When choosing a costume, I knew I had to go with something that was easy to get on her and comfortable, or she just wouldn't have it. So we went with a simple ghost costume. We got the white onesie from Old Navy, the tutu from a local children's boutique, the white tights from The Children's Place. My crafty mom, shirt painted on the ghost face and we were good to go. The best part of the outfit is that Avery didn't mind wearing it. She danced, ran, and played just like she was wearing her normal clothes...yeah!

On the look out for dogs nearby...

Our "spooky/sweet" little ghost.

She was tough to catch!
Quite a change from her mermaid costume from last year's Halloween!


A few days before Halloween we opened and carved a pumpkin...

She was a little weary of it at first.

Then they became friends...

Really good friends!

Can you tell she's into shapes right now?
On the actual Halloween night we headed over to my parents house and Avery had a blast handing out candy to all the trick-or-treaters. Literally this is what we did all night! Anytime there would be no kids coming up to the door, she start yelling, "Kids! Candy! Kids! Candy!"


Did she have any candy? Nope. She snacked on Veggie Straws as she passed out candy and was perfectly fine with it. I'm sure I'll have to cross that bridge next year, but don't worry I'll be armed and ready with some homemade gluten-free, vegan, sugar-free candy and treats. Hopefully she won't mind. ( :

Now that we've had some "ghostly fun" let's get into my gluten-free, vegan food for the day...

5:00 AM: warm water with the juice
from half a lemon
5:20 AM Pre-workout snack: Sausage McMuffin
(aka Food for Life Gluten-Free English Muffin, 
with a Sol Veggie Breakfast Patty and some maple syrup) 
I am so glad to have found these SOL Cuisine products, they
are great for gluten-free, vegans. 

Workout: 1 hour of yoga with the Namaste Yoga DVDs. Love this series. I've been doing it for over 6 years now and I still love them. Anytime my back feels out of whack, I do some Namaste Yoga and feels much better...not to mention background scenery and the narrator, Kate Potter's voice, is very relaxing. 




7:30 AM Breakfast: Chocolate Ice Cream Smoothie 
Raw cacao powder, hemp seeds, chia seeds, spinach, 
rice milk, frozen strawberries, and frozen bananas.

9:30 AM 1st morning snack: "Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Chia Muffins" 
from Hail Merry blog...I added 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
into the recipe.

11:15 2nd AM Snack: 1 organic gala apple
The glass water bottle I'm rocking at
the moment...an old BBQ sauce
bottle. Nothing fancy, just good ol'
glass. No plastic for me.
Read more here about why I avoid
plastic water bottles.
What's your favorite alternative to plastic water bottles? Share below!

12:15 PM Lunch:Pizza (Udi's Gluten-free pizza crustDaiya 
vegan mozzarella cheese, organic spaghetti sauce, mushrooms) 
with steamed broccoli and Daiya vegan cheddar cheese.

2:15 PM: Green juice: 1/3 of a pineapple,
1/2 a lemon,1 apple, 2 stalks of kale,
2 stalks of celery, 1 knob of ginger all in a jar!
After watching the video below of my all-time favorite health idol, Kris Carr tell me that it's okay to juice your green juice in the morning and store it in Mason jars to drink throughout the day, I knew I had to give it a try.



I've been lugging my juicer to school every Monday and home from school every Friday, and that was getting a bit old. Now I just make it in the morning, keep it in a Mason jar and keep in my classroom refrigerator for when I'm ready to drink it. Thanks for the tip Kris!  ( :

How do you drink your green juice?  Do you have a favorite health idol? Share below.

3:00 PM Afternoon Snack #2: Snyder's Gluten-Free Pretzels...
love these things. For some reason I always need
a little "crunch" in my afternoon and these pretzels hit the
spot.

5:00 PM Just got home snack: "Creamy Peanut Butter Smoothie"

7:00 PM Dinner: Homemade Mongolian BBQ with gluten-free
rice noodles, tofu, broccoli, carrots, corn, onions, mushrooms
Bragg's Liquid Aminos and chipotle powder.

"Don't mind me...just eating my tofu."

Being silly with Daddy.


I sure love dinners with Avery (when she's this happy!).

Dessert: a few spoonfuls of "Brownie Batter Dessert Hummus" 
'from Nourishing FlourishingWho would have thought beans 
could taste so much like brownie batter?! This is one
sneaky, delicious, and healthy dessert!
See you guys next time!