Guest Post and Election Post

 Last night we invited some friends over and had an election night party. There were Romney supporters, Obama supporters, and third party supporters, so it was a nice mix. We colored in maps, because that's clearly what grown people do during elections. When I was little, my mom would always print out maps and we would color them in, so I told Chase we had to continue the tradition. We had margaritas, arguments, coloring, and card games. It was great.
I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I'm a fan of Obama. I'm definitely liberal on social policy, which is why I like him. However, fiscally, I would identify more conservatively. So maybe that equals out to moderate? Who knows. I was happy with how the election turned out, but I was definitely surprised Obama won by such a large margin. 

I thought his acceptance speech was great. Here are some of my favorite quotes:
via
"Let me say this publicly: Michelle, I have never loved you more. I have never been prouder to watch the rest of America fall in love with you, too, as our nation's first lady. Sasha and Malia, before our eyes you're growing up to become two strong, smart, beautiful young women, just like your mom."

I seriously love this. Clearly Mitt Romney loves and adores his wife and family. I guess I just really appreciate the Obama placed such an emphasis on becoming strong and smart. I really feel like many people (men and women alike) believe that a woman's highest good is to be an attractive, happy homemaker who can cook well and raises wonderful children. That might be what some women choose. But I think that's underestimating women for sure. I think a woman's highest good is to do the most that she can with the skills, personality, and passions she possesses. I wish people would tell girls over and over again that they need to work on being strong and smart first. Not beautiful and desirable. 


"Democracy in a nation of 300 million can be noisy and messy and complicated. We have our own opinions. Each of us has deeply held beliefs. And when we go through tough times, when we make big decisions as a country, it necessarily stirs passions, stirs up controversy. That won't change after tonight, and it shouldn't. These arguments we have are a mark of our liberty."

This is such a good point! It's okay and even great that people in the US disagree on so many things. It probably helps keep a measure of balance. If we were all tea party Republicans, imagine how horrible it would be. And if we were all liberal democrats, imagine how horrible--nevermind it would be great. Kidding. It's awesome that there is such a diverse spectrum of views and everybody lives (semi) peacefully in one country. 

So I went on facebook and copied some of the most gloomy facebook statuses to share here, but then I decided I should use some of my restraint and refrain from that. Even my snarkiness has to have limits. But here's one really good one:

"all of you people talking about this election just remember...most of you will not even think about politics until the next election comes around...so just go to bed, wake up tomorrow and keep doing what you're doing."

I definitely think there's a lot of truth in that. Plus it's just fun. I think most people would like to think they are more informed and interested than they actually are. Me included! I mean, come on, I didn't even vote in this election. Clearly I'm not the poster child for democracy and civic duty and all that. 

Also, I'm guest posting on Blissful and Domestic. It's the burlap wreath I previously posted, but you can still check it out if you feel like it. :)