A survey has been done by the Dutch television station BVN to discover what the Dutch miss most when they live abroad. Did you know that the herring is on the top of the list!
The 10 things the Dutch expats miss most:
- Herring (9%)
- Kroketten (8,6%), croquette
- Cheese (8%)
- The household goods chain "de Hema" (8%)
- Family and friends (6,7%)
- Cycling (6,5%). In the Netherlands we have many bicycles. 13,5 million Dutch people have 1 or more bicycles. We have more than 29 thousand kilometres of cycle paths. For more figures on cycling check the website of the Fietsersbond.
- Dutch bread, cakes and biscuits (2,7%)
- Gezelligheid ( 2,2% there is no good English translation for this word: coziness)
- Sinterklaas (2%)
- The things to eat on your bread (2%)