WIAW & Sweet Potato Burritos Recipe

Happy Wednesday everyone! It's that time of the week again to see what I'm eating, which workout I did today, and of course, what Avery is up to.  Today I've got a bonus treat for you as I'm going to be sharing one of our favorite meals: "Sweet Potato Burritos". I know that probably sounds like an odd combination, sweet potatoes and burritos, but trust me...it's delicious!

Sweet Potato Burritos with Smooth & Creamy Guacamole

Let's get right into the "What I Ate Wednesday" fun, as linked up to Peas & Crayons. Here's my gluten-free, vegan food for the day...


5:00 AM Just woke up:
Warm water with the juice from half a lemon, here's why.

5:20 AM Pre-workout snack: Sausage McMuffin
(aka Food for Life Gluten-Free English Muffin, 
with a Sol Veggie Breakfast Patty and some maple agave nectar.)

Workout: 30 minutes of yoga with 10 Minute Solutions Yoga. Now I'm pretty OCD about getting in my full hour-long workout for the day, so even though I was running a little late this morning and wasn't able to squeeze in the full hour, I made sure to finish it when I got home from work. Granted working out after teaching all day isn't exactly my favorite activity to do, but the yoga and stretching actually felt pretty good.




7:30 AM Breakfast: Chocolate Ice Cream Smoothie 
Chia seeds, hemp seeds, raw cacao powder, rice milk, 
2 frozen bananas, 5 frozen strawberries

9:15 AM 1st Morning Snack: 1 Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar

10:15 AM: "Sneaky Spinach Pancakes" with Maple Agave
Nectar syrup.

12:00 PM Lunch: "Sweet Potato Burritos" see recipe below,
with "Smooth & Creamy Guacamole" on corn tortilla
shells with corn chips.

1:45 PM 1st Afternoon Snack: 1 organic Gala apple

3:00 PM 2nd Afternoon Snack
Almond Dream Strawberry Yogurt

3:30 PM 3rd Afternoon Snack: Bowl of "Simply Sprouted
Way Better Snacks: Simply So Sweet Chili Tortilla Chips"

4:30 AM: "Green Juice" (apple juice + green powder)
Then I got home to see this little girl who was in a "swing daze"...

"La la la la...whoa this swing is relaxing!"
It didn't take her long before she was laughing and giggling as we touched the leaves in the trees.



5:15 PM Afternoon Snack #5 Million...
"Green Watermelon Smoothie" and Brandon made a pink
one for himself. Have you tried these yet? Which is

your favorite?
*This is when I finished the yoga workout I started 12 hours earlier...better late than never right?  ( :
7:00 PM Dinner: SoLVeggie Burger with my Vegan BBQ Baked Beans 
and Alexia Waffle Cut Sweet Potato Fries 

Avery had fun getting messy with the beans and fries.


Her new favorite expression: "Hand-over-the-mouth-excited!"
Usually accompanied by a gasp of excitement. He he!

Looking like a big girl!

Quite a change from our first day of summer vacation back in May, just three short months ago...


Do babies grow up fast or what?!

Dessert:  "Crazy Ingredient Chocolate Cake" (it's cauliflower!)
from Chocolate-Covered Katie. Yum yum yum!

Now that you've read about my food for the day, let's talk about these Sweet Potato Burritos. As I said above, you wouldn't necessarily throw sweet potatoes into the running when trying to come up with burrito fillings, but when I saw the idea in a recipe book a few years back I figured, "Why not?" So I gave it a try and loved it. I was amazed how well the sweetness of the sweet potato paired so nicely with the spicy flavor of the peppers, spices, and salsa. Over the years, I tweaked the recipe a little here and a little there and now it's ready to share with you!

One great thing about these burritos is that you don't need any fancy, "health food store ingredients".You can get all the ingredients you need at most regular grocery stores, thus making it an inexpensive meal. On top of that it's quick and easy to prepare, so it's great for those busy weeknight meals. 


Sweet Potato Burritos

Inspired by: "JJ's Favorite Yam and Black Bean Burritos" from the book The Gluten-Free Vegan by Susan O'Brien

Ingredients:
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled 
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 red pepper (I didn't have a fresh one at the time, so I used an organic one from a jar)
  • 1 cup of salsa
  • 1 Tbs. chopped cilantro
  • 2 Tbs. lime juice
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 Tbs. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. salt

 Steps:

1. Chop the ingredients into 3 bowls: 1.) sweet potatoes,
2.) tomato and red pepper, 3.) onions and garlic.
2. Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil and add the chopped
sweet potatoes. Cook until soft, around 10 minutes or more.
3. Meanwhile, saute the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes.
Then add the tomato and pepper and continue sauteing for
2-3 more minutes
4. Now add 1 cup of salsa, and the spices.
5. When the sweet potatoes are done cooking, strain them
and add them to the skillet and heat through.  Now stir in
the cilantro and lime juice.

The sweet potato filling is now ready to be served up into
the burrito shells of your liking. Heck, you could have it with
tacos, or you could just dip chips in it!

My favorite thing to pair with this sweet potato burrito filling is a good ol' batch of guacamole. While on a recent trip to Colorado, I saw my cousin's husband make some guacamole in a food processor...something I had never tried before. I always thought you were supposed to mash and stir it with a fork, but boy was I missing out! The end result was so creamy, I had to keep checking to make sure there wasn't sour cream in it! As you can imagine the next time I made guacamole, I broke out the food processor and whipped up some of what I now call: "Smooth & Creamy Guacamole" and it's been our go-to recipe ever since. Hope you like it!

Smooth & Creamy Guacamole

Ingredients:
  • 4 avocados
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
  • 2 tsp. lime juice

Steps:

1. Place all the ingredients into the food processor.

2. Now process until smooth, being sure to scrape down the
sides if needed.
Be sure to "taste test" the guacamole to see if it needs any
tweaking (more onions, more cilantro, etc.). Just try not
to eat the whole batch while you're at it!

Now it's time to combine the Sweet Potato Burrito filling with the guacamole and serve it on a burrito shell. I use corn tortilla shells, since I'm gluten-free, but you could use any tortilla shell, or taco shell you want!


Enjoy the spicy sweetness!
  



See you all next week!

This post was recently linked up to "Healthy Vegan Fridays" which you can find on any of these three blogs: Everyday Vegan GirlVeggie Nook, and Carrie On Vegan. So get your "vegan on" and check out some of these great recipes!