What I Ate Wednesday

Hello What I Ate Wednesday friends! You may notice that my post looks a little different today because instead of lounging all day with little Miss Avery on my summer vacation from teaching, I had to go to a workshop at my school (so rough, I know).  So while I was sitting at the workshop, Avery was living it up with Grandma Karen, swinging, reading books, and playing outside. Despite the lack of Avery pics from the morning and afternoon, I still managed to load the post with pictures of her because when I got home we went and played in the dirt and then cleaned up later by taking a bath with glow sticks! See the fun we had below.



To start off my gluten-free, vegan food for the day I had...

5:00 AM: glass of warm water with
the juice of half of a lemon

5:30 AM Pre-workout snack: 1 bowl of Rice Chex cereal
with SO Delicious Sugar-Free Vanilla Coconut Milk
Workout: 1 hour of yoga with The Skinnygirl Workout by Bethenny Frankel.



8:30 AM Breakfast: Chocolate Ice Cream Smoothie
Raw cacao powder, hemp seeds, chia seeds, spinach,
rice milk, frozen strawberries, and frozen bananas.

9:30 AM: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabar

10:30 AM 2nd Morning Snack: 2 slices of Rudi's Gluten-Free
Multigrain toast with Earth Balance vegan butter, and organic
strawberry jelly.

11:30 AM 3nd Morning Snack: 1 organic peach, I sure love
summer fruit!

12:00 PM Lunch: My "Cheesy Casserole" recipe with tofu,
brown rice, vegan cheese, carrots, potatoes, and broccoli.

2:00 PM 1st Afternoon Snack: bowl of watermelon

3:00 PM Green Juice: Apple Juice and
Amazing Grass Green SuperFood Powder

3:30 PM Afternoon Snack #2: Bowl of Veggie Straws!

5:00 PM: "Chocolate Vanilla Smoothie": vanilla
coconut milk, Chocolate Sun Warrior Rice Protein Powder,
spinach, 1 1/2 frozen bananas, 3 frozen strawberries
Clearly this smoothie has become my "default" afternoon
smoothie!

As I said before, once I got home from my workshop from school I let Avery play in the dirt. If you know me, you know I'm not too into getting messy.  In my pre-school class I don't seem to mind letting my kids get messy, but at home sometimes it just seems like more work. You know, they get messy, you clean them up, they get messy again, you clean them up. The process can become wearing on top of all the demands that come from being a parent. But since my workshop was about Project Construct, a teaching approach based on the Constructivst theory that supports children learning from "experiences" and allowing them to get messy, I threw all caution to the wind and let Avery go to town with the dirt path  in our backyard (thank you dogs).  As you can imagine she had a great time.

It all started when she plopped down in the dirt and started
pushing the dirt back and forth with her hands.

Somehow it ended up on her face...

And her neck...

Our dog, Jackson, happily watched on as the dirt play unfolded.

By the end she was one dirty girl!
Thank goodness for bath times and laundry!

7:00 PM Dinner: My "Creamy Sweet Potato Pasta" recipe with
sweet potatoes, a vegan cheese sauce, and Tinkyada gluten-free
brown rice noodles.

"Wait a second, did you say noodles?"

"Wait, this bowl is way more fun!"

Dessert: Chocolate Avocado Pudding from Oh She Glows


Now to wash off the mess from dinner and our "dirt adventures" outside, I took Avery up to take a bath. Not any ordinary bath...a glow stick bath! Thanks to Jenny over at the YouTube channel: Show Me Cute and her video "Summer Time Glow Sticks" I learned of this fun idea to throw some glow sticks into the bathtub and turn off the lights. I had a feeling it would be right up Avery's alley, since she already loves bath time. Let's see how it went...

Handing her the glow sticks...

With the tub all lit up. The water might look a little murky
since we use Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Castile soap, not
exactly the most bubble creating soap.

She had fun dropping them in and then trying to find them
in the water.

Nothing like a chunky baby silhouette in the tub
 to make you smile. ( :
For all those die-hard greenies out there, don't worry the glow sticks were non-toxic and I made sure they did not get opened. Have you ever tried this idea? It could also work in a pool as well.
See you all next week!