Wok it Out
It's been awhile since I posted a new recipe on here, and with summer right around the corner, I was in the mood to mix fresh flavor and lots of bright colors. Beau and I have plans for a garden in our backyard this summer and I want to make sure I have enough recipes that require a handful of tomatoes and a few sprigs of cilantro.
Now if only avocado trees would grow in Iowa ;)
I bought Beau a wok for Christmas a few years ago after he decided he wanted to master the art of cooking fried rice. And although we're still perfecting that fried rice just three years later, we have learned how to make a really great stir fry in the process!
Here's one of my favorites. A fresh, healthy concoction that adds a whole new meaning to salad!
Here's the break down...
1 sirloin steak, sliced into strips with a sharp knife
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 ripe avocado, sliced lengthwise, peeled, and diced
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
8 oz. red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
tortilla chips, lettuce, and most importantly, cilantro
1. Place the garlic, chili powder, salt, and coriander in a large bowl and mix until well blended. Mix and pour into large ziploc bag.
2. Add the strips of steak and toss well to coat all over.
3. Heat the oil in a large preheated wok. Add the beef and stir-fry for 5 minutes, tossing frequently.
4. Add the kidney beans, tomatoes, and avocado and heat through for 2 minutes.
5. Serve immediately. Top with lettuce and cilantro, and serve with tortilla chips (and summer shandy, of course!)