Chair Reupholster

Before   -----   After

When we moved to Chicago, rather than renting a moving truck and paying a boat-load of money for that, we sold all of our furniture on Craigslist and bought new furniture when we got here. But clearly, I hate spending money, so the new furniture we got was really thrift-store and Craigslist furniture. We were looking for a semi-attractive computer chair that would look nice and match our living room. We found an antique chair at Goodwill for $3.99. Unfortunately, it didn't match and it was wobbly. But us, being the resouceful, thrifty people we are, bought it anyway with plans to make it over.

The original chair. It was in surprisingly good shape for costing 3.99.
 Step One: Cut off and remove the old fabric. This part was the most tedious. I used a screwdriver and some pliers to take out the nail head trim and the 400 staples that kept the fabric in place.

Step Two: Paint. For this chair, I spraypainted it with white spraypaint first. That provided the base coat so I didn't have to put the paint on as thickly with the brush. When the spraypaint dried, Chase brush painted the chair with glossy white paint.

Step Three: Recover the chair. This fabric was a sweater I found at Salvation Army for $.66. It was going to be used to recover the pillows I made, but I had enough for those, so I saved this for the chair. I cut the fabric so it fit the chair, but had extra length hanging off the edge. Using a staple gun, I pulled the fabric tightly down, and stapled in the same place the original staples were. It was kind of tricky to fit it around the back of the chair, but I cut and stapled until it worked out. Make sure the staples are as close together as you can make them.

Step Four: Trim the fabric right underneath the staples.

 Step Five: Add trim. I bought this trim at Hobby Lobby for $.99 per yard in the upholstery section. It took 2 yards and I had a little bit left over. I just used hotglue to attach it. Be certain the trim you buy is wide enough to cover all of the staples.

Step Six: Stabilize the chair. We bought some L-brackets from Home Depot for $1.50, I think. Chase drilled the holes and attached these on the two back legs to keep it from wobbling as much.

Step Seven: Admire the beautiful finished product. :)