Blue Jeans and a Good Hair Day

Some days, that's all it takes. Those little things every day that makes us smile, or sometimes, just make the day a little more bearable. The mornings where I begrudgingly drag myself out of bed, and tiptoe across the icy cold bathroom floor after a quick shower, only to take a sigh of relief when I remember it's Friday. I throw on my favorite pair of jeans and instantly feel ready to face the day. Or the simple fact that some days, a good hair day is all it takes to make you feel like a million bucks. It's the simple pleasures and everyday comforts of this life that are perhaps most important, yet often the most neglected. 

Inspired by Gretchen Rubin's book, The Happiness Project, I know there is pleasure to be found in writing what makes one happy - even if it's just one sentence (or photo) a day. Thus, starts a Friday ritual of mine - to document the good in every day, through words and pictures. 

"5 years. 365 days. 1825 happy moments captured."
 
Saturday: It was a rough week, with a couple bits of bittersweet news at the end.  Saturday morning, I received notification that my proposal for the National Council of Teachers of English Annual Conference was accepted.  This will be my first time presenting solo at a national conference.  I'll be traveling to the city that never sleeps in November, presenting on my fairytale J-Term project I created this January.  I'm hoping Beau will accompany me to Vegas!

The same day, I received news that I was chosen as one of NCTE's Emerging Leaders, which scores me a year fellowship, a mentor from NCTE's Executive Council, and two free passes to the Vegas and Boston Annual Conference.  While I still have no idea what next year will hold for my career, I trust that next year will be a growing year for me professionally, in some way or another.  

Sunday: I relished a lazy day at home --- a mid-morning nap with Cruz, three episodes of Restaurant Impossible, and tomato bacon cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.  Lots of comforts for a rainy spring day.  


Monday: making May baskets with cute spring papers and leftover ribbon. All of Cruz’s favorites – puff corn, teddy grahams, vanilla cupcake goldfish, and some ‘smarties’ to offset the ‘dum dums.’



Tuesday: Yoplait French Vanilla Yogurt and Target's Archer Farms Granola Packets - a light, delicious snack to go with a morning of grading papers. 


Wednesday: Reading Catcher in the Rye with my amazing 10th grade students.  I am so thankful for this group of kids - during a time when motivation and morale are at an all-time low, I'm blessed to have a group of kids that leaves me challenged, excited, and smiling at the end of every school day.  They are dreamy.

Thursday: A perfectly peaceful night - Pacifico and cilantro pesto on chicken, being tackled on our patchwork quilt by a rosy cheeked little boy, and a family walk before bedtime.  Tonight feels like summer.

Friday: A gorgeous morning and Cruz in a pair of 'jorts.'  Awesome.      


Happy Weekend!