WIAW & Veggie Sizzle Burritos Recipe


Hope you all are having a great week. It's that time of the week, good ol' Wednesday when I tell you what I'm eating, what Avery's up to, and everything else in between. For this month's What I Ate Wednesday, we are looking to add an extra cup of veggies each day.





To help get my veggies up this week, I had a veggie-loaded burrito...this recipe is included below if you'd like to try it to increase your veggies!

Let's  jump right into my gluten-free, vegan food for the day...

5:00 AM Just woke up snack: 2 slices of Rudi's Multigrain Gluten-Free
Bread with Earth Balance Butter and organic strawberry jelly.

Workout: 1 hour of pilates with 10 Minute Solutions: Rapid Results Pilates




7:30 AM Breakfast: Chocolate Ice Cream Smoothie

9:15 AM First Morning Snack: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabar

10:30 AM 2nd Morning snack: Gluten-free, vegan pancakes
from Cinnamon Quill with Maple Agave Nectar.
  
12:15 Lunch: Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew. I love
the flavors in this! Cumin, cinnamon, and turmeric...who
knew they could taste so good together? This stew
helps crank up the veggie count as well with tomatoes,
onions, celery, and obviously sweet potatoes!


2:15 PM 1st Afternoon Snack: 1 organic apple
3:15 2nd Afternoon Snack:1 Amande Strawberry
 Almond Milk Yogurt


4:15 Green Juice: Apple Juice + 

5:00 PM 3rd Afternoon Snack:
"Grape Juice Green Smoothie"
After my smoothie, we headed outside to play with the dogs and enjoy the awesome spring weather.

Avery did some walking with Dad.


Fence time with Mom.

We watched our dog Jilly, chew on a stick. Very entertaining.

Then she enjoyed some "air time" before we headed in for dinner.

7:00 Dinner: Veggie Sizzle Burritos (see recipe below) on corn tortilla
shells with Cheddar Daiya cheese. Alongside some homemade
guacamole and organic corn tortilla chips.

Avery is definitely her mother's daughter, as she dove right into that guacamole!
Get in my belly guac!

"Oh?!" This is her favorite thing to say right now, other
than "Dog". Like that curious face that goes along with it?

Aside from the guacamole, she ate up the veggies as well,
way to get your extra cup of veggies in Avery!
Dessert: 1 gluten-free, vegan chocolate chip cookie from
Cinnamon Quill

Onto that recipe...this is one of my favorite meals to make on weeknights because it's so easy, quick, and only has a few ingredients!  I always breathe a sigh of relief when I remember I'm making this for dinner because I know that all I have to do is chop the veggies, saute them, then eat them! Easy peasy, right? Even better, this recipe doesn't have any crazy fancy ingredients that you have to track down from a health food store (with the exception of Braggs Liquid Aminos, but you can replace that if needed).
Enough rambling, here's those veggie burritos!

Veggie Sizzle Burritos

Modified from "Veggie Sizzle Burritos" from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan by Dreena Burton

Ingredients:
  • 1 zucchini chopped into "half-moons"
  • 1 yellow onion chopped
  • 1- 8oz pkg. mushrooms (I use baby portabella) chopped
  • 2 Tbs. Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
  • 1 Tbs. chili powder
  • 1 Tbs. paprika
Ingredient group shot...so small it fits in my cast iron
pan!

1. Chop the onion into small pieces

2. Chop the green pepper into big or small pieces, I like small.

3. Chop the entire package of mushrooms into as big
or as little of pieces as you like.

4.  Time to chop the zucchini into half-moons. To do this
I chop the zucchini in half, cut off the ends, and then
scrape out the seeds.

You'll end up with two, "U-shaped" zucchini "logs".

Next I chop it into thin, slices that look like a "half moon".

5. Turn your skillet or cast iron to medium-high and
saute the onions until softned.

6. Now add your spices: 1 Tbs. chili powder, 1 Tbs. paprika,
2 Tbs. Braggs Liquid Aminos. Saute for a minute or two.

7. Now add all the other veggies, and saute for an additional
5-6 minutes until veggies have softened and absorbed the
spices.


If it starts to get dry or stick to the bottom of the pan,
add some water or more Braggs.
Curious what this Bragg's Liquid Aminos is all about?  Click here to learn more. Basically it is a nice substitute for traditional soy sauce or tamari (that are not gluten-free). On top of that it also has tons of great aminos...hence the name.

When veggies have softened to your liking, take off
the heat and serve in burritos or just with chips.

I use small, corn tortilla shells, which don't roll up so well,
so I make them flat like this and just fold them up when I
eat them.
Oh yeah, and that amazing guacamole you see sitting there, well since I don't have the time or money to go to Chipotle every day, I've been determined to find a good recipe I can make here at home that tastes similar. I try about once a week, and sometimes it tastes good and other times not so much. Here's this week's attempt, which was awesome!

Here's a link  the recipe I've been using to get me started.
I've made some tweaks, but I'm still working on getting
it just right!
 Enjoy the Veggie Sizzle Burritos and maybe a little guacamole on the side. ( : See you next week!