What I Ate Wednesday

Happy Wednesday. It's that day of the week, hope you're having a good one. In this week's post I'm going to share my food for the day (WIAW), as well as my favorite "green powder" and new baby bib alternative I've been trying out.




Does it seem like I eat a lot? Well I do. I'm still nursing Avery, who is 11 months old, and when I'm not with her, I'm pumping for her. This, in combination with my exercise, works up quite an appetite! Enough talk about food, let's get right into my yummy, gluten-free, vegan food for the day...


5:00 AM Just woke up snack: 2 slices of Rudi's Multigrain
Gluten-free Bread, with Earth Balance butter, and organic
strawberry jelly.
Workout: 1 hour yoga with Shiva Rea Sun Salutations.




7:30 AM Breakfast: Chocolate Ice Cream Smoothie

9:15 AM First Morning Snack: Peanut & Jelly Larabar
10:15 AM 2nd Morning Snack: 2 gluten-free vegan pancakes
with Agave Nectar as syrup. Recipe from: The Cinnamon Quill.

11:30 3rd Morning Snack: 1 organic orange

12:30 PM Lunch: "Spaghetti with Sneaky Sauce"...what's the
sneaky sauce you ask? It's simply 1 cup cooked green lentils
and 2 hand fulls of spinach, blended into one jar of spaghetti
sauce on some gluten-free Tinkyada rice noodles. Yum!

2:15 PM 1st Afternoon Snack: 1 Silk Strawberry Soy Yogurt

3:15 2nd Afternoon snack: "Simply Sprouted Way
Better Snacks: Simply So Sweet Chili Tortilla Chips"


4:30 PM: "Green Juice" (aka green powder + apple juice)
So in "dream world" I would crank my "green-ness" up to the top notch, but sometimes reality hits and that just isn't possible. Before Avery was born I would make fresh green juice each morning...ah Kris Carr would've been so proud. But now that Avery's here, things are a little different. I don't have time to get out my juicer, prepare the produce, juice it, and then clean it up. Instead I just make smoothies.

In the past 10 months, I've gotten pretty fast with my smoothies and that "Chocolate Ice Cream Smoothie" that you saw above that I have every morning...well I could probably prepare it, make it, and clean my blender in 3 minutes flat. I'm sure that if I wanted to, I could get my juicing up to that speed, but for now, I've found a solution that works for me...a cool green powder: Amazing Grass Green SuperFood Powder.

Now I'm sure all the true "greenies" out there would say, "Come on just juice it fresh! You're missing so many nutrients!" And I'm sure they're right, but this powder is better than nothing.

Here's some of it's benefits according to the website:
-boosts energy and immune system
-supports body alkalinity
-one serving gives you the antioxidant equivalent of 7 servings fruits and vegetables
-contains pre and probiotics and digestive enzymes to ensure rapid nutrient digestion

It costs about $20 for an 8.5 oz. which lasts me about a month (using one scoop per day).


My favorite way to have this green powder is with some apple juice and here's how I make it...
Using an old BBQ sauce bottle, I fill 3/4 way full with
Simply Apple Apple Juice.

Next, I add one scoop of the green powder.

Since you probably don't want a mouth
full of powder, continue to the next step...

And shake it!  I love using the BBQ sauce
bottle because in between drinks I can
shake the bottle to distribute the powder
back into the juice, since it tends to sink
to the bottom.

And now we have some green juice! I love
this stuff and find myself looking forward
to drinking it every day.

Have you ever used a green powder? Share below what brand and how you like to have it.
5:30 Just-got-home snack: "Chocolate Vanilla Smoothie": vanilla
coconut milk, Chocolate Sun Warrior Rice Protein Powder,
Spinach, 1 1/2 frozen bananas, 3 frozen strawberries.

Around that time Avery woke up from a late nap and had a rockin' hair do. She joined Brandon and I outside to say "Hi!" to the dogs...boy does she love those dogs right now.

Talk about some "bed head"!

"Like my hair guys?"

Always happy with Daddy and the dogs
outside.


7:00 Dinner: "Mushroom Mexican Casserole" with some
homeade guacamole.  I need to post this recipe for you guys soon!
It's got mushrooms, quinoa, black beans, pinto beans, onions,
salsa, Daiya vegan cheese, and corn.

It tastes great with chips.

Let's find out if Avery liked it?
"Ohhh good!"

Messy fingers are a good sign...


Here's the new bib alternative I've been trying lately:
Baby Buddy Bib Clip.

It's just a set of clips that you can attach to any napkin
or cloth and use it as a bib...thus eliminating the need
for standard bibs.

I'm already annoyed with the semi-plastic bibs I got for Avery, because although they were PVC-free (one yucky toxin), they are not holding up very well. I suppose I'm not washing it right because it says just to wipe clean, and I usually soak it and then try to ring it out...but I'm sorry, wiping it does not get the job done!

I've looked into cloth bibs but none seemed to fit Avery (they are all too small and too short), so until I have the time to make my own (maybe a Pinterest craft of the month?) this is what I'm trying now and for only $5 it's worth a shot.  Even better, the clips are BPA, lead, phthalate, and nickle free.

So far they've been working out great. We just attach a dish towel, make sure to put the clips kind of close together (so no food goes down the front), and let her eat away. Afterwards, I unclip the towel, throw it in the wash and we're good to go. I love how it helps decrease the need to buy, throw away, buy and throw more away. Talk about being better for the earth and your wallet.

Avery's favorite part of dinner: finding Daddy's nose,
a body part she loves to label...messy
fingers and all!

Dessert: "Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough"...SIKE! It's actually
beans (that taste like cookie dough) from
Nourisng & Flourishing.
See you all next week!