Mini Review: Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel


As with many scanned images, the color in this image does not do justice to the actual color of the ink, which is incredible to write with. I noted how long the drying time takes, and it is substantial on Rhodia paper, but the color is just too cool not to use. I even went so far as to say that this is one of the most beautiful colors one can experience, and when you get a chance to write with it, you will see what I meant. The really dark sentence in the second half of the image is where I had stopped writing for a bit and started again, so you will a range of color, from dark magenta to a bright pink with hints of purple.

Being an "Eel" ink, this ink is designed to lubricate the piston filling mechanism of the pen, but I think the lubricating ingredient also translates into a smoother writing experience. I also noticed this in using Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel. 

The paper that I used for this review is the Rhodia Reverse Book with 80 gram graph paper. The pen that I used is a Padrino Contour with a medium nib, which I will be reviewing at some point. 

So, if you are a fan of colors in this spectrum, or you want to branch out more, I think this is an amazing color.    If you don't want to invest in a full bottle, I recommend getting a sample from Goulet Pens, which is what I did, because my girlfriend didn't like her bottle of J. Herbin Rouge Bourgogne as much as she thought she did, so now I will probably just get samples before buying full bottles. 

Related Links:
Goulet Pen Company Ink Sample Page (Note: I bought my sample, and I am not affiliated with Goulet Pens)