Refueling the Engine

It's been quite a week to say the least.  I'm testing the waters on my 'low fuel' light, and as I slowly trudge my way up the hill, I can slowly see the destination, the ever-so-important 'refuel' weekend, in sight.  I know I can make it; however, it seems so long and never-ending.  I think Cruz and I need some Little Engine that Could tonight.

I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can.

I didn't take any pictures this week.  I didn't update Cruz's baby book, or make the bed, or change our poor, neglected cat's litter.  We did, however, figure out what smelled like death in our fridge, manage to dirty every single wash cloth in Cruz's drawer, and bond as a family over chicken soup, Vitamin C, and American Idol.  Our house currently looks like a sick clinic, and I'm starting to see mucous in my sleep.

Before having Cruz, I remember looking at the lengthy class listings new parents could take to prepare for their bundle of joy.  Classes on changing a diaper and soothing a baby.  Classes on breathing during labor and latching a car seat.  Classes on stork bites, baby baths, and breast pumps.  But one thing they do not prepare new parents for is the first time their sweet little baby gets sick.

It's been a tough week, but I've never felt more like a 'mom' in my life.

...A mom who types lesson plans with one hand in a dark living room at five o'clock in the morning, while cradling my baby in the other arm, all in order to hold him upright so his little nose can drain the utter yuck that's filling it.

...A mom who trades dress pants and a day at work for pajamas and a much needed sick day.  A day where long naps meet warm baths, Goodnight Moon meets whispers of 'mama's here,' and chicken soup meets soft kisses on mattery eyes and a runny nose.

...A mom who waits in an endless line of hacking, coughing, and sneezing Cedar Fallians, ready to purchase about every baby cold and flu product known to man.  Saline wipes, saline drops, Vick's vapor rub, vapor bath, and vapor night lights. 

...A mom who forgets to buy something for supper, as well as something for her own fire-like sore throat, and goes back to wait in an endless line of hacking, coughing, and sneezing Cedar Fallians.

...A mom who wants to literally take her baby and run after seeing an 'RSV Warning' sign posted on the day care room door.

...A mom who thinks she has every right to demand that her son is held and cuddled with every minute of the day care day, regardless of the other sweet babies who need attention and love. 

...A mom who calls the sweet nurse at the doctor's office in tears, desperately seeking to purchase a button that will make Cruz's cold disappear, and getting a prescription for reassurance and encouragement instead.

...A mom who would give anything to take Cruz's runny nose, helpless cough, and teary eyes for an entire year if it meant he would be cold-free. 

...A mom who is learning from her baby, who continues to smile while getting snot sucked out of his nose, that this really isn't too bad.   His Look Who's Talking voice is saying, 'Yo, Mom.  I'm fine."

We're fine.  The weekend is in sight.

Have a good one!  The giveaway winner will be announced on Sunday :)