Still waiting...

Dearest content one,

Hi Baby.  Today is September 29, less than one week from your due date.  Today was my last appointment before I will be considered 'overdue.'  Today, I felt like having a baby.  I woke up early, walked two miles on the treadmill (attempting to give you a little bit of a head start before your appointment), and looked forward to going to what I thought would be my last week of school.  There's always an excitement surrounding doctor's appointment days, especially this late in the game.  I was confident I was going to be much closer to having you today than I was last week and even had a weird feeling today might just be the day.  Your birthday.

I wasn't the only one thinking this way.  Your Uncle Gabe sent me a text shortly after 8 am, asking if I was a mom yet.  Your grandma called, reminding me to call her as soon as my appointment was over.  And your dad sent about a dozen text messages throughout the morning hours.  It was difficult to concentrate during my morning classes and I counted down the minutes until 10:20. 

Well, we made a little progress from last week; however, not enough to send me for my hospital bag instead of back to school.  A little discouraged and highly anxious, I left the hospital once again, already looking ahead to next week.  From now on, I'm simply going to plan on you arriving a week overdue...that way, if you come any earlier, it will just be a nice surprise.

Boy, have you been moving lots today.  In fact, at times, especially during lunch with your dad, I even questioned whether I was having contractions.  What was I thinking?  It was probably just you responding to the BEST TENDERLOIN I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED!  Newton's Cafe is legit!  I would have thought that alone would have enticed you to begin your descend to this side of the world.  I guess I was wrong...

What else might entice you?  Well, the house is clean, your room is ready, and the Bears are 3 and 0.  Your dad can't wait to spend Sundays with you and tell you all about his favorite team, and more importantly, you will match!


Whether it's tonight, tomorrow, this weekend, or two weeks from now, know that we are waiting, pacing, and more than ready to welcome and love you right into our lives.  You have already made our lives so exciting and I can't begin to fathom the next chapter.  All I know is that I'm craving...

...listening to a sleeping baby, the little noises you will make, and the way your little head will rest against my chest.

...that distinct, perfectly unique baby smell. 

...baby feet, barefoot or in those tiny baby socks. 

...mornings where the only thing on my 'to-do' list is to hang out with you.  Days where hours spent staring at you becomes the idea of a perfectly accomplished day. 

...hibernating inside as the weather gets colder and the nights get shorter.  I'm dreaming of fires, blankets, and tummy time. 

...the chance to finally get to see the face of this little boy I've been dreaming about for a very long time.

We love you.  Now, come out!  

Your momma.