Goodbye Plastic Water Bottles!

So have you ever thought twice about using plastic bottles? In this day and age, it's pretty common to get your water from plastic bottles. I know I thought they were "healthier" than tap, and although it cost quite a bit to buy all those bottles, I felt "green" because I would re-use my bottles for several days, and when I was done I would always recycle them. Good green girl right? Well apparently not. After reading some books and watching the two videos below, I had an inkling my watter bottle habits were actually the opposite to being green...they were harming the earth and possibly my body!

Here are the two videos that inspired me to drop plastic water bottles:
First up, the movie Tapped, which, "...examines the role of the bottled water industry and its effects on our health, climate change, pollution, and our reliance on oil." It comes to DVD on Netflix on August 10, 2010. Sweet, it's been on my Queue for months!





The next video is called, The Story of Bottled Water which, "... employs the Story of Stuff style to tell the story of manufactured demand—how you get Americans to buy more than half a billion bottles of water every week when it already flows from the tap."





So several months ago I was able to cut my plastic water bottle habit and replace it with a reusable aluminum water bottle from Sigg, which cost about $28. I was really digging these water bottles for awhile because you could choose from thousands of designs on CafePress.com and they kept me from wasting plastic water bottles. But then I read about how Sigg was charged with having BPA in their bottles back in 2008, so it was time for a switch. On top of this possible BPA contamination, the inside of the bottle always looked kind of weird, and it was hard to clean (see those grooves on the top of the bottle...this lining was peeling off at one point- yuck!).

Anyways, after researching once again I discovered the awesome stainless steel Klean Kanteen, the water bottle that so many books would reference when speaking of a healthy alternative. I loved how the stated up front on their website that their products are BPA free, thank you for that! So after purchasing two of these (one for my hubby), I've been pretty pleased with them. They are much easier to clean and don't get a funky rusty smell after a few days (like the Sigg used to). Also, the inside is smooth and shiny, not some faded looking coating. One downfall, I got the biggest size (a 40 oz which cost $25.95) and it gets a little tricky to drink while driving...usually I end up with water down my shirt if I try! A different top would probably help with this, instead of the kind that you twist to put on and take off. Aside from this, I'd love to try and get a small one next. Here's some other really cool ones I have on my "Green Things to Buy List":
Well, I hope this has given you some ideas of how you can ditch those plastic water bottles and lessen your impact on the environment, your wallet, and your body! Do you guys use any reusable water bottles already or other plastic water bottle alternatives? What's your favorite type or brand? Let me know !

By the way, here's my husband's Klean Kanteen water bottle which he covered with some skateboarding stickers, just so you can see that not all reusable water bottles have to be frilly and pink! He he!